Translate

February 22, 2013

How To Shorten & Re-Hem A Dress


I have this kinda OCD thing about dresses having to fall at certain points on my body. Mid thigh, knee length or full length. There are no other options. So when I ordered a gorgeous dress online and it turned out it fell right above my ankles I had two options - send it back or alter it myself. So I altered it myself haha. It's now mid thigh length.

(Please ignore the water bottle and the fact it's laid out on the sofa bed haha)

Step One: Try it on - Before you even think about taking a pair of scissors to it you need to pop it on so you can take into account how it falls on you. For example in my case boobs aren't an issue because of the cut of the dress but I do need to consider the weight I've yet to lose after having my son.

Step Two: Do the Hokey Cokey! Okay not really. But I did almost look like it as I folded and popped pins in (while wearing it) to work out how much to take off!


Step Three: Take it off and flip it inside out! (Excuse the sleeping bag - I was trying to keep my legs warm haha).


Step Four: Fold and Pin! I folded the whole bottom in one direction and pinned it.

Step Five: Cut in the crease. 


Step Six: Fold the bottom over by about one inch on either side of the dress. Now fold it over another inch so that there is no open seam on show.
Pin every couple of inches. Make sure you have enough of a gap between them to seperate the two sides of the dress (as pictured above).


Step Seven: Open the gap between the pins as shown previously. Now pin the hem on each side of the dress and remove the pins holding both sides together as you go.

Step Eight: Pop it on the sewing machine - I put the edge of the sewing foot against the edge of my fabric to make sure I had a straight hem.

No comments:

Post a Comment